Tuesday 17 May 2016

On the map somewhere

 On the way to the south pole or at least the bit of New Zealand that get closest and it felt like it as you can tell from the pictures . This was part of my antipodean adventure I went dressed and equipped for tropical clime . Australia was cold and wet and NZ colder and wetter. My Australian son in law bought me the jacket because he knew what was coming (he wasn't my son in law at the time I had no idea who he was he seemed to be with my daughter. My daughter was in Aus at the time one of the reasons we went - well the reason I went ..
 It was colder and wetter than it looks . My wife wanted to see these fossilised trees . I stood on the beach asking where these trees were to be told I was standing on them. Wasn't worth it to me but if you are into fossils Curio Bay . My wife also wanted to see the penguins coming ashore you will see by the absence of penguins that they didn't come ashore. I didn't see any penguins I think it was to cold for them.

 You can tell by the dejected stance and wet bum how much fun I was having



This was the camper Van I hired. I am not a camper or a carravanner the last time I was in a tent I was in the scouts , no I wasn't I was in St Tropez and it was a lot warmer . Thing is I picked the cheapest van of its class. If you want to rough it or are young then its fine but it is a converted transit and not a camper van if I do it again I will pay more and get a purpose built one they are less work. If you do do it rent a water drum thing. One of those that rolls about on a handle. We went early in the season so the camp sites were pretty empty and I always managed to park by a standpipe and fill the tank from the hose buy if I had had to park away from a standpipe I don't think I could have filled the water reservoir using a bucket. It took ages to fill and minutes to use if you had a shower. Unless you are masochistic don't use the onboard toilet you have to empty it  not pleasant I did it once then used the camp toilets well worth the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment