Monday 27 June 2016

End of days

Retirement Thursday !! Many many people have said I bet you are counting down the days ? I explained not , that at my age the days would pass quickly enough and so it is on Thursday I finish in a world in chaos . I have been asked what I will do with my time . This first year will be a busy time so much to do . When I started work the world was an ordered place in which some things were cast in stone and one of those was at 65 you retired. You took what ever pension you were entitled to and either settled to an equable life or you found some part time job to eck out you years. Now retirement is a choice , you have to choose to retire . You have to resign. You have to decide what to do with your 'pot' . The number of people who have asked me how I feel because they are approaching the same time in their life and face the same decisions. They have the same doubts the same worries the same hopes Anyway for good or bad, and like brexit, the decision is made and I must live with it .

I have been throwing away all the accumulated papers from my working life. Course's taken , promotions earned , decisions made good times and stressful  times all there in a bundle of paperwork and it all comes down to a recycling bin . It seemed important at the time.


Brown Paper Parcels wrapped up in string


Contrarywise one of the things I will miss most about Gist (apart from the money) is the people. Everyone says it but they have been and are the best I have worked with. Below is what one friend got me to commemorate my leaving . The real gift here is the effort he put into thinking it all out and getting it.

I am nor quite as old as he thinks I am , but then I am not as young as I think I am either. Often I catch an unplanned glimpse of myself in a shop window and wonder who that old bloke is.








No comments:

Post a Comment